CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS PRIVACY NOTICE SUPPLEMENT
Last updated June 10, 2021
Thank you for choosing to be part of our community at Defector Media, LLC (“Company”, “we”, “us”, or “our”). We are committed to your right to privacy and respecting your ability to control your information. If you have any questions or concerns about this privacy notice, or our practices with regards to your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com.
This supplement (“Supplement”) applies to visitors, users, and others who reside in the State of California (“consumers” or “you”). It is designed to supplement the Defector Media, LLC Privacy Notice (“Privacy Notice”) to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) and other California privacy laws. Any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning when used in this notice.
This privacy notice applies to all information collected through our Site, as well as any related services, sales, marketing or events.
Please read this privacy notice carefully as it will help you understand what we do with the information that we collect.
1. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
In Short: In the past twelve (12) months, we’ve collected the types of personal information as shown in the table below.
|A. Identifiers.||Name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers||Yes|
|B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).||Name [if you fill it in, not required], address [city/state/zip code only], telephone number, education, employment, employment history Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.||Yes|
|C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.||Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, disability (mental and physical including HIV/AIDS, cancer, and genetic characteristics), sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information)||No|
|D. Commercial information.||Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies||No|
|E. Biometric information.||Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as, fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data||No|
|F. Internet or other similar network activity.||Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer's interaction with a website, application, or advertisement||Yes|
|G. Geolocation data.||Physical location or movements||No|
|H. Sensory data.||Audio and visual recordings||No|
|I. Professional or employment-related information.||Current or past job history or performance evaluations||No|
|J. Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99)).||Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records||No|
|K. Inferences drawn from other personal information.||Profile reflecting a person's preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes||No|
2. WE DO NOT SELL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
In Short: We do NOT sell your personal data.
We do not sell your personal data. In the last twelve (12) months, we have not sold any personal information.
3. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE SHARE?
In Short: We share limited personal data to third parties where there is a business purpose.
Category A: Identifiers
4. WE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST YOU FOR EXERCISING YOUR RIGHTS
In Short: We won’t discriminate against (or punish) you for exercising your rights.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services
- Suggest that any of the foregoing may occur
We may offer certain financial incentives permitted by the CCPA that can result in different prices, rates, or quality levels. Any CCPA-permitted financial incentive we offer will reasonably relate to your personal information’s value and contain written terms that describe the program’s material aspects. Participation in a financial incentive program requires your prior opt-in consent, which you may revoke at any time.
5. YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
California residents have the following rights under the CCPA:
Personal Information Request
In Short: If you submit a request, we will show you what personal information we have of yours.
You have the right to request we tell you what personal information we’ve collected about you and how we’ve used it over the past 12 months. Once we receive and verify your request, we will provide you a report showing:
- The categories and specific personal information we’ve collected.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business purpose for collecting that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- If we sold or disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- Sales - identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
- Disclosures for a business purpose - identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained
In Short: We will delete your personal information where you tell us to. In very limited circumstances, we may deny your request where continuing to process such personal information is necessary.
You have the right to request we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and verify your request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records. We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information's deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research's achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
How California Residents Can Submit Requests under the CCPA
In Short: Submit your request via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Via email to email@example.com
Only you, or your authorized agent acting on your behalf, may make a request related to your personal information under the CCPA.
Our services are not directed to children under 18 and we do not knowingly collect information about children under 13. That being said, you may also make a request on behalf of your minor child.
You may only make a personal information request twice within a 12-month period.
Your request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use personal information provided in such a request to verify your identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
In Short: We will do our best to fulfill your request within 45 days of submission. If we need additional time, we will let you know.
We will do our best to fulfil your request within 45 days of submission using the methods described above in Section 3. If we need additional time to fulfil the request, we will let you know in writing why we need more time and how much more time is being requested. The disclosures we provide only cover the 12-month period preceding receipt of your request. Where we are unable to comply with your request, we will explain why we cannot comply.
For personal information requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity.
We will not charge you for responding to your request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or clearly inappropriate. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
6. CHANGES TO THIS CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENT
In Short: We'll let you know if we revise this Supplement.
We reserve the right to amend this Supplement at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this Supplement, we will notify you by email or through a notice on our website homepage.
We are committed to ensuring that our website, including this Supplement, is accessible to people with disabilities.
This Supplement is available as a searchable PDF by pressing the print button at the top of the page allowing you to either print the document or download it as a PDF. If you are disabled and need additional assistance with this policy or have feedback about our website generally, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
8. CONTACT INFORMATION
If you have any questions or comments about this Supplement, our Privacy Notice, the ways in which we collect and use your personal information, your choices and rights regarding such use, or wish to exercise your rights under California law, please do not hesitate to contact us at:
Defector Media, LLC
Attn: CCPA - Legal
147 Prince Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Phone: (848) 228-2650